Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I start a case in Juvenile Court?
A. File a petition with the Juvenile Court Clerk’s Office.

Q. How do I request a copy of any records from the Juvenile Court Clerk’s office?
A.  Go to the Public records form that can be found under the Forms and Publications tab on the website. Complete the form and return it to the Public Records coordinator, Telisa Banniza at

Q. Where do I get the forms needed to start my case?
A. At the customer service window of the Clerk’s office or click here.

Q: Are there how-to’s for e-filing certain pleadings through eFlex to Juvenile Court?
A: Please click here for documentation we have available.

Q. How much does it cost to start a case?
A. Generally, a petition normally cost $169.75 which includes the service fee for the sheriff.

Q. Where can I find a schedule of fees that outlines various juvenile court costs?
A. Click Here

Q. Can I pay child support to the juvenile court?
A. Only Non IV-D child support cases can be paid through the clerk’s office all other payments must be made to the Child Support Receipting unit for the state of TN. Click Here to visit the the Child Support Receipting Unit’s website.

Q. Is it possible to set up a payment plan for any costs that I incur?
A. Yes, this must be set up by the bookkeeping division of the Clerk’s office. Please call 615-862-7984.

Q. How long will it take for my case to come to court?
A. It generally takes 4 to 6 weeks before a case comes to court via petition; motions are heard within 2 to 3 weeks.

Q. What happens if I am not happy with the outcome of my case?
A. You must file an appeal to the Judge within ten days of the initial order.

Q. Do I make restitution payments to the Clerk’s office?
A. Yes.  A check is then made to the recipient.

Q. Why do I have to fill out multiple data forms?
A. This is done so that we can maintain our data base with accurate information.

Q. What are the acceptable forms of payment?
A. Acceptable Forms of Payment
All payments can be made at our Payment Window. Court order, File No., Petition No. or Decree number will be needed.
•Cash: Only accepted at Payment Window. Do Not Mail.
•Attorney, Cashier or Certified Checks & Money Orders:. Make payable to Juvenile Court Clerk or JCC. Write the
File, Petition or Decree number on the check or money order. These payments can be mailed.
•Credit/Debit Card: A minimum fee of $2 will be charged for each transaction. Transactions exceeding $83.50 will be
charged 2.4%. Payment(s) can be made by phone @ 615-862-7984.
Personal Checks ARE NOT Accepted.

Q. What are the hours of the Juvenile Court Clerk’s Office?
A. 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.